Install WordPress – Quick and Easy Guide
This lesson will show you how to install WordPress and get a website online. This is a massive step, but it is surprisingly easy. Luckily, your web host along with WordPress make it really easy to install and get a basic website on the World Wide Web.
In order to complete this lesson you need the following:
- Web Host
- Domain Name
Install WordPress With One Click Install
Login to cPanel
Navigate to your cPanel login, this can normally be found by going to www.youdomain.com/cpanel, for example my login prompt is www.danwardweb.com/cpanel.
Find the One Click Installation Package
Within cPanel you will have a One Click Installation Package and a logo called “WordPress”, it will look like one of the below images:
Follow the Installation Guide on the Screen
This is a really simple step, just hit “Install WordPress” or “Install” and complete the fields that are required.
As a minimum you will be asked for the following:
- Domain – Select your domain name from the list. If your domain name isn’t in the list, contact your hosting provider.
- Directory – Leave this blank
- Admin Name – This will be your username for the WordPress site, you will not be able to change this.
- Admin Password – This is the password for the WordPress site, choose something secure.
- Email Address – Enter your email address.
- Blog Title / Site name – Enter the name of your Website. This can be anything. If your domain name is bobshentonflowers.com, choose something like “Bob Shenton Flowers”.
If there are any other fields, leave them as default, you do not need to change them.
After you have completed the above fields, click on Ok / Install and you can say that you have been able to install WordPress.
If you have any problems at this stage, please contact me or your hosting company.
That’s it, you now have your WordPress site installed. To test, open up a browser and navigate to your domain name, you should see the standard WordPress home page with a “Hello World” post on the homepage.
You don’t need to have One Click Installation in order to setup WordPress, it just makes it a little easier! I actually couldn’t explain this any better than the guys over at WP101, i’ve embedded their video into this lesson:
You should have been able to install WordPress and by typing in your domain name in a browser, you should see the standard WordPress home page.
Congratulations, you now have a website!
As always, if you have any issues, please don’t hesitate to contact me or leave a comment.